33 Comments

1. The real problem is that textbooks never give kids an understanding of why it's important to learn math. They don't actually use math for anything of importance in their life most times when learning it. Mostly it's just purposeless memorization of formulas and other purposeless garbage

2. Pedagogy of the oppressed – the paradigm of a teacher and student determines the experience of both: the teacher views the student as a container of which to fill with information (something to inform) – the student incapable of original thought. However the student is capable of transforming this information and having ideas and thoughts in response to information. This is not helped with the advent of education and schools to meet the needs of industrialisation – which morphed the school into the typical production process/line. Compare this to some of the great schools of antiquity or modernity – the school of Athens to St Palls: the directorate and purpose of these schools was fundamentally different. Schools are geared to building a good resume, not to building a life. But access to the internet and ideas from the greatest thinkers – you can start to ask what you want from life, not from your job.

People in a sense are more trapped/enslaved than ever before through media, government, 'free' markets, ideologies – but the flip side of the very same coin is that we have never had more freedom and opportunity to do.