Joe Rogan Experience #970 – Bret Weinstein FYTube

Bret Weinstein is a biology professor at Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA. Currently he is in the middle of an intense controversy that has been documented by the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and several other mainstream media outlets.

Video Source

28 Comments

1. I was a student at the Evergreen State College and was present during the time of these events. As someone who was there, I hope to provide a more in depth analysis that promotes OBJECTIVITY. First and foremost, I implore ANYONE interested in this topic/event to TAKE THE TIME TO FIND OUT WHAT DAY OF ABSENCE/DAY OF PRESENCE and its SIGNIFICANCE to the Evergreen State College. This is HIGHLY important to WHY THIS ISSUE STARTED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

On Wikipedia, it semi briefly explains what Day of absence/ Day of Presence is: @t

This event was a yearly event and it was PURELY and UNDOUBTEDLY a VOLUNTARY EVENT EVERY YEAR. This event was meant to be a day in which students both POC and white could participate in workshops both on and off campus. Every one of these workshops was different but most of them where focused on class discussions/activities about combating racism and social inequalities. In 2017, participants were ENCOURAGED that if they were a WHITE PERSON that they participate in workshops off campus and POC would participate on campus. in previous years it WAS THE OPPOSITE. The reason behind the change was directly correlated to Trump being elected president shortly before the event, the growing concerns for POC in America, and a 2015 police shooting of an unarmed black man that took place in Olympia, Washington (where the school is located). It was decided by organizers and students alike that with these things in mind, that is then reasonable and sensible to have POC stay on campus that year.

Weinstein objected to this alteration as you can see here: @t

He is essentially calling this VOLUNTARY EVENT a case of reverse racism. Stating that "a group or coalition encouraging another group to go away" is "an act of oppression in and of itself". Why did Bret Weinstein SUDDENLY and COVIENTLY have an issue with this event? He was a professor at the Evergreen State College for 14 YEARS PRIOR TO THIS INCIDENT so he had to have had some conception of what Day of Absence/Day of Presence was prior to writing his email. He never once wrote that in the years that preceded 2017 that "oppression" was being exhibited yet because of this alteration, he suddenly had a change of heart. Now that WHITE STUDENTS WERE ASKED TO PARTICIPATE OFF CAMPUS HE NOW HAS AN ISSUE WITH THE EVENT AN DEEMS IT OPPRESSIVE.

Because of what HE did and what HE sparked, I along with my classmates and fellow Evergreen students had to fear our own safety. A person called the college campus and THREATENED TO SHOOT UP THE SCHOOL. Don't believe me? READ THIS: @t

I was in class when this happened and it SPARKED WIDESPREAD PANIC. My professor at the time had to tell us that someone has threatened the safety of the school and we are to leave campus immediately if we could, or go to where you live on campus and shut all your windows and lock your doors. THIS WAS PREDOMINANTLY WHY STUDENTS WALKED AROUND WITH BATS AROUND CAMPUS BECAUSE THEY FEARED THAT THEIR LIVES WERE IN JEOPARDY. It was also done because white supremacist supporters and sympathizers like the Patriots Prayer also came and protested the school and further antagonized the schools, faculty and students. THE PATRIOTS PRAYER WERE EVEN ALLOWED TO PROTEST on campus in the weeks that followed the student protests. (EXPLAINED HERE): @t

Whether or not you call him a racist, or he calls himself "deeply progressive" he clearly used his position to spark media coverage and bradished himself as a martyr. If he is "deeply progressive" doesn't it seem a bit odd to go on Fox News, a right-wing news organization, and add more fuel to the fire? FOX NEWS INTERVIEW HERE: @

Free speech is a PRIVILEGE one that should be taking in the account of RESPONSIBILITY. As a professor of a college and someone who educates students, he should feel really ashamed for CAUSING THIS INCIDENT. It caused NUMEROUS harm to individuals, students, and faculty of the college many of whom had to leave just like Weinstein because of death threats online and other threats of violence.

I do not purport to be a sympathizer of either side of this issue no matter what my biases may be. I however align myself with the students of Evergreen during that year as it affected those of us there deeply and especially affected our POC students. I only hope to promote the facts and speak my honest opinion. I also take into account that it wasn't solely him that caused this all to happen but IT DID ALL START WITH HIM AND HIS GROUNDLESS EMAIL

2. When you repeat a despicable act you instantly condone it. These idiots have no problem with the way blacks were treated in the segregation era because they want to implement the same acts again. The only difference is that people on the receiving end will be white and they enjoy it. The act is therefore justified and no need to complain. Dumb or what.