22 Comments

1. An NYU professor got fired because 82 out of 300 students complained to the chair of his department that the teacher is too strict and ORGANIC CHEMISTRY too hard. Really? Wow! Organic Chemistry is a required course for all student doctors. It needs to be difficult material.

I don't want you giving me medical advice if you graduated from medical school because of lower standard requirements. I majored in Mathematics. Yes, I have a B.A. in Mathematics from Lehman College (CUNY). To earn a math degree, the math department at Lehman College is very strict with its courses and exams.

The department has to be strict! After two weeks in abstract algebra, I thought my mind was going to blow up but it didn't. I made it through. By the way, abstract algebra is a course only for math majors. It is not the regular algebra you took in high school.

Students today expect colleges across the board to give them a passing grade just for showing up. It doesn't work that way! We have to earn anything of value that we want or need to achieve. I don't agree that NYU should have fired the professor. There's no need for the extreme. As a professor, I would do the same. No free tickets to a college degree in my class. Understand? I will give you the grade you deserve based on exams, class participation, etc. I am not a professor but this is what I would do or simply change my career.

2. We need to do something about the cost of four year colleges. I have four kids and we've decided that each of them who wants a four year degree will do a year or more of community college first, then go off to four year college. It's the only way to make the financial math work. It has been a great experience for us. My kids have had the chance to try different classes, as well as honing their learning skills (learning how to learn). Also, I want to address the notion that college is.a waste of money for people who don't know exactly what they want to do and pursue a degree in that specific field. I am someone who didn't know what they wanted to do so I got a liberal arts degree (in political science). I now work in IT. A liberal arts degree teaches you critical thinking, reading, writing and communicating. I've made a career out of those skills in an industry I wasn't directly trained for. In this day and age, companies look for people who know how to learn as opposed to people who know specific skills. Short of being a doctor or a mechanical engineer (and others), lots of job skills can be taught, on the job. What we look for when we hire, are people who have the skills to learn.

3. I think college is not for everyone. If you can study and get good grades then fine . But not everyone that goes to college is going to get great grades. For most people there better of going to a college Part time I think a person that is not good at studying should learn about investing they will be better of. Bike work for a few years save your money and buy a income property like a 4 plex you will be more ahead of the people that did go to college believe me.

4. Love my family but even right now in serious transition in my life I'm being told to push myself through school. I'm tired of pushing myself for school when I'm overwhelmed. The question parents and family should ask first is "What do you want to do?" Not what college are you going to.